This guide provides an overview of Hungary’s economy, including the country’s primary imports and exports.
Hungary Economy Overview
Hungary’s exported goods and services amount to a total of $145.3 billion. This positions the country as the:
- 35th largest product export economy
- 37th largest service export economy
Imports totaled $129.9 billion, resulting in a positive trade balance of $26.4 billion.
Hungary’s Top Exports
Here is a breakdown of the most important products exported by Hungary, both commodities and other notable exports.
- Refined petroleum – $1.5 billion
- Petroleum gas – $798 million
- Corn – $736 million
- Poultry meat – $665 million
- Hot-rolled iron – $573 million
If you’re interested in trading some of these commodities, you can jump to our list of recommended regulated brokers in at the end of the page.
Other Notable Exports
- Cars – $11 billion
- Vehicle parts – $7.2 billion
- Spark-ignition engines – $3.9 billion
- Packaged medicaments – $3.8 billion
- Video displays – $2.7 billion
Hungary’s Top Imports
Here is a breakdown of the most important products imported by Hungary, both commodities and other notable imports.
- Crude petroleum – $3 billion
- Petroleum gas – $2.1 billion
- Refined petroleum – $2 billion
- Other iron products – $781 million
- Raw aluminum – $750 million
Other Notable Imports
- Vehicle parts – $5.8 billion
- Cars – $4.6 billion
- Packaged medicaments – $3.2 billion
- Integrated circuits – $3.1 billion
- Office machine parts – $2.2 billion
Here are the most recent gross-domestic product (GDP) statistics for Hungary:
- Total GDP: $158 billion
- GDP Per Capita: $16,162
- GDP Growth (2008-2018): -0.16%
Overall, Hungary ranked 135th out of 196 countries in terms of GDP per capita growth.
Details on Hungary’s Exports/Imports
Additional information on Hungary’s exports and imports is useful to get an idea of where the country stands in global trade.
Export & Import Distribution by Product Categories
Based on data provided by the OEC, Hungary’s largest export class is of machines, responsible for a total of $47.6 billion of their total export trades.
Other major export product categories include:
- Transportation – $20.4 billion
- Chemical Products – $11.3 billion
- Plastics & Rubber – $7.82 billion
- Metals – $6.4 billion
Export & Import Distribution by Destination Country & Origin
The top destination countries for Hungarian exports are:
- Germany – $32.6 billion
- Italy – $6.29 billion
- Romania – $6.18 billion
- Slovakia – $5.76 billion
- Austria – $5.42 billion
The top countries of origin for Hungarian imports are:
- Germany – $29.6 billion
- Poland – $6.8 billion
- China – $6.67 billion
- Austria – $6.24 billion
- Czechia – $5.98 billion
Interested in Trading Commodities?
Interested in trading gasoline, corn, iron ore, and other important Hungarian commodities? Start your research with reviews of these regulated brokers available in .
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. <b>Between 74%-89% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs.</b> You should consider whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Sources & Further Reading
Our data was collected from:
- OEC – Economic overview, GDP stats, trading countries
- GlobalEdge – Individual commodity export-import data
In-Depth Commodity Resources
If you’d like to learn more about Hungary’s top traded commodities, you can start with the following commodity pages:
- Oil Trading – Hungary’s most imported and exported commodity
- Aluminum Trading – Hungary’s #4 exported and #3 imported metal commodity
- Copper Trading – The #5 most imported precious metal commodity in Hungary
Neighbouring Economic Profiles & Debt Clocks
Here are the debt clocks for a few of Hungary’s neighboring countries, as well as some of their top export/import partners:
All currency is reported in US dollars.