Hungary's Economic Overview
Hungary's exported goods and services amounted to a total of $145.3 billion. This positions the country as the:
- 35th largest product export economy
- 37th largest service export economy
Imports totaled to $129.9 billion, resulting in a positive trade balance of $26.4 billion.
Hungary's Top 5 Commodity Exports
The five most exported commodities by Hungary are:
- Refined Petroleum – $1.5 billion
- Petroleum Gas – $798 million
- Corn – $736 million
- Poultry Meat – $665 million
- Hot-Rolled Iron – $573 million
Other Notable Exports
- Cars – $11 billion
- Vehicle Parts – $7.2 billion
- Spark-Ignition Engines – $3.9 billion
- Packaged Medicaments – $3.8 billion
- Video Displays – $2.7 billion
Here are the most recent gross-domestic product (GDP) statistics for Hungary:
- Total GDP: $158 billion
- GDP Per-Capita: $16,162
- GDP Growth (2008-2018): -0.16%
Overall, Hungary ranked 135th out of 196 countries in terms of GDP per-capita growth.
Hungary's Top 5 Commodity Imports
The top commodity imports are:
- Crude Petroleum – $3 billion
- Petroleum Gas – $2.1 billion
- Refined Petroleum – $2 billion
- Other Iron Products – $781 million
- Raw Aluminum – $750 million
Other Notable Imports
- Vehicle Parts – $5.8 billion
- Cars – $4.6 billion
- Packaged Medicaments – $3.2 billion
- Integrated Circuits – $3.1 billion
- Office Machine Parts – $2.2 billion
More Information on Exports/Imports
Additional information on Hungary's exports and imports is useful to get an idea of where the country stands in global trade.
Export & Import Distribution by Product Categories
Based on data provided by the OEC, Hungary's largest export class is of machines, responsible for a total of $47.6 billion of their total export trades.
Other major export product categories include:
- Transportation – $20.4 billion
- Chemical Products – $11.3 billion
- Plastics & Rubber – $7.82 billion
- Metals – $6.4 billion
Export & Import Distribution by Destination Country & Origin
The top destination countries for Hungarian exports are:
- Germany – $32.6 billion
- Italy – $6.29 billion
- Romania – $6.18 billion
- Slovakia – $5.76 billion
- Austria – $5.42 billion
The top countries of origin for Hungarian imports are:
- Germany – $29.6 billion
- Poland – $6.8 billion
- China – $6.67 billion
- Austria – $6.24 billion
- Czechia – $5.98 billion
Sources & Further Reading
Our data was collected from:
- OEC – Economic overview, GDP stats, trading countries
- GlobalEdge – Individual commodity export-import data
In-Depth Commodity Resources
If you'd like to learn more about Hungary's top traded commodities, you can start with the following commodity pages:
- Oil Trading – Hungary's most imported and exported commodity
- Aluminium Trading – Hungary's #4 exported and #3 imported metal commodity
- Copper Trading – The #5 most imported precious metal commodity in Hungary
Neighbouring Economic Profiles & Debt Clocks
It can be useful to view countries' overall debt statistics to get an idea of their economic performance.
Here are the debt clocks for a few of Hungary's neighboring countries, as well as some of their top export/import partners:
All currency is reported in US dollars.
Interested in Trading Commodities?
Start your research with reviews of these regulated brokers available in .
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. Between 73.0%-89.0% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.