Risk Warning: Your Capital is at Risk.
Crypto.com is a web and mobile cryptocurrency exchange with multiple trading products and 100+ supported cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin.
They offer two mobile apps you can download on iOS and Android devices, one with a fiat funding option.
This review covers the Crypto.com retail and merchant suite, trading fees, and will help you understand this platform’s features and how they compare to other exchanges.
Overview & Key Features
Crypto.com was founded in 2016 and has offices in Europe, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
The exchange offers 100+ cryptocurrencies and even more trade pairs. On the mobile app, traders can fund their fiat wallets with USD, CAD, AUD, GBP, and EUR. The DeFi Wallet app does not support fiats but allows staking and token swaps.
Aside from cryptocurrency spot and margin trades, Crypto.com offers crypto futures as derivatives, pre-listed token sales, trading games, crypto staking, and crypto loans.
Note: Crypto derivatives like futures are NOT available in the UK.
Crypto.com has its own coin, CRO — when customers stake this coin, they’re eligible for discounts on trading fees and upper-tier Visa Cards.
Retail merchants can use the Crypto.com API to integrate with e-commerce platforms like WooCommerce to accept payments in 15+ tokens, including Bitcoin and Tether.
Pros and Cons of Crypto.com
|Over 100 supported cryptocurrencies||No fiat funding or wallet on the web platform|
|Discounts on pre-listed tokens||Low margin on cryptocurrency spot trades|
|Separate DeFi mobile app with staking and crypto token swaps||High trading volume requirement for trading fee discounts|
|Advanced analytics on the web platform||No chart analytics on mobile|
|Fixed and variable term crypto staking|
|📈 Trading Products||Fiat-Crypto Pairs, Crypto Pairs, Margin, Futures|
|📱 Mobile Trading||Yes (Read the mobile app review)|
|💰 Cryptocurrencies||100+ (See all available cryptocurrencies)|
|👛 Wallets||Built-in hot wallet & DeFi wallet (See the DeFi wallet review)|
|💵 Fiat Funding Currencies||USD, EUR, CAD, GBP, AUD|
|💳 Payment Methods||Wire Transfers (domestic and international), Debit Card, Crypto|
|📞 Customer Support||24/7 Live chat, E-mail, Support tickets, Knowledgebase|
|🛍️ Other Services||Crypto Visa Cards, Loans, DeFi, Retail Payment Integration|
The Crypto.com Product Suite
Alongside the direct cash-to-crypto exchange, spot, margin, and derivatives trading, Crypto.com offers a suite of other products:
- Crypto Visa Cards: Five different tiers of crypto visa cards with no annual fees. Cards can be topped up with crypto or fiat, with staking rewards in Crypto.com’s CRO coin. The card also includes discounts with selected service providers.
- Crypto.com Pay: Ability to pay with 15+ DeFi tokens via the mobile app, while earning rewards for transactions and inviting friends.
- Crypto Earn: Off-chain staking via Crypto.com in 30+ coins with three different term lengths and pre-calculated average annual APYs.
- Crypto Credit: Ability to borrow up to 50% of an initial crypto collateral’s value. No statement deadlines, late payment fees, or credit checks.
- DeFi Suite: A decentralized mobile wallet with support for 100+ cryptocurrencies, staking in decentralized finance projects, and a DeFi token swap service with liquidity pools.
- Crypto Syndicate: This feature is part of the exchange terminal, where traders can buy discounted tokens prior to their listing on Crypto.com. Recent coins included NEO where traders could buy from a pool of $500,000 NEO at a 50% discount.
- Trading Arena: Trading games and competitions for traders, like margin trading and coin-specific races.
- Payment Integration: Merchant platform with support for 15+ tokens including CRO, USDC, ETH, BTC, and LTC. Merchants can accept payment via these tokens and integrate with supported e-commerce apps like WooCommerce, OperCart, Ecwid, and PrestaShop.
Where Does Crypto.com Operate?
Crypto.com has headquarters in Europe, Hong Kong, and Singapore. The company is registered as a Maltese company under MCO Malta DAX Limited, and is currently headed up by CEO is Kris Marszalek.
The company is also a member of the Hong Kong-based International Digital Asset Exchange Association (IDAXA), and has been granted two financial licenses by the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) in 2020: a Financial Institution License and a Class 3 Virtual Financial Assets (VFA).
As to which countries Crypto.com accepts traders from is not specified, although the company declares that they ship visa cards to 30+ European countries.
- Czech Republic
Still, based on the languages available on the platform and support, traders get a better idea of which legal jurisdictions may be welcome.
The trading platform can be viewed and used in 16 languages.
- Canadian French
- Traditional Chinese
- Simplified Chinese
The website’s support section and knowledgebase is available in 12 languages.
- Traditional Chinese
- Simplified Chinese
All US residents with USD balances are covered up to $250,000 by the FDIC.
Crypto.com’s exchange terminal offers spot trading, margin trading, and derivatives trading in the form of crypto futures.
Traders who want to buy or sell cryptocurrencies for cash as a direct exchange can only do so via the mobile app, where credit and debit cards are accepted.
Spot Trading & Cash Exchange
There are 100+ cryptocurrencies available to buy with cash in the Crypto.com app. The supported fiat currencies are CAD, GBP, USD, AUD, and EUR.
You can download the Crypto.com Mobile App to buy crypto for cash.
Here are some of the supported base cryptocurrencies and a corresponding example trading pairs on the Crypto.com Spot market:
|A to K||K to Z|
|Aave - AAVE/USDT||Kyber Network - KNC/USDT|
|Algorand - ALGO/BTC||Litecoin - LTC/BTC|
|Balancer - BAL/USDT||Loopring - LRC/USDT|
|Bancor - BNT/USDT||Maker - MKR/USDT|
|Band Protocol - BAND/USDT||NEAR Protocol - NEAR/USDT|
|Basic Attention Token - BAT/USDT||Neo - NEO/BTC|
|Bitcoin - BTC/USDT||OMG Network - OMG/BTC|
|Bitcoin Cash - BCH/BTC||Ontology - ONT/USDT|
|Cardano - ADA/BTC||PAX Gold - PAXG/USDT|
|Celer Network - CELR/USDT||Polkadot - DOT/USDT|
|Chainlink - LINK/BTC||Qtum - QTUM/USDT|
|Chiliz - CHZ/USDT||Ren - REN/USDT|
|Compound - COMP/USDT||SKALE Network - SKL/USDT|
|Cosmos||Stacks - STX/USDT|
|Crypto.com Coin - CRO/BTC||Stellar - XLM/BTC|
|Curve DAO Token - CRV/USDT||Synthetix - SNX/USDT|
|Dai - DAI/USDT||Tezos - XTZ/BTC|
|Decentraland - MANA/BTC||The Graph - GRT/USDT|
|Dogecoin - DOGE/USDT||The Sandbox - SAND/USDT|
|Elrond - EGLD/USDT||Uniswap - UNI/USDT|
|Enjin Coin - ENJ/USDT||USD Coin - USDC/USDT|
|EOS - EOS/BTC||VeChain - VET/BTC|
|Ethereum - ETH/BTC||Wrapped Bitcoin - WBTC/BTC|
|ICON - ICX/BTC||XRP - XRP/BTC|
|Kusama - KSM/USDT||yearn.finance - YFI/USDT|
|Zilliqa - ZIL/USDT|
There are over 100 spot pairs listed on the exchange.
Margin Trading On Crypto.com
Margin trading on spot pairs allows traders a leverage of 3:1. This means that if a trader wants to execute a trade larger than the account balance allows, they can borrow funds from the broker or exchange.
For example, if a trader wants to buy $3,000 worth of Bitcoin, they may borrow $2,000 from Crypto.com with a collateral margin requirement of $1,000.
Please note, this is an example trade – not a recommendation.
Leverages on crypto derivatives are higher. See below.
Derivatives Trading On Crypto.com
There are two crypto derivatives, namely crypto futures on Crypto.com:
- Bitcoin/USD Perpetual
- Ethereum/USD Perpetual
Both futures contracts come with a maximum leverage of 50:1.
DeFi Services by Crypto.com
Crypto.com offers three main decentralized financial services:
- DeFi Wallet: A mobile app with full control over funds in 100+ coins, private keys, and the ability to import wallets with a 12, 18, and 24-word recovery phrase. DeFi wallet users can define the preferred transaction fee and estimated transaction speed.
- DeFi Earn: Staking in more than ten cryptocurrencies with no lock-in term contracts, secured by two-factor authentication access.
- DeFi Swap: Traders can swap between tokens and contribute to groups of liquidity pools where traders can ‘farm’ and stake in selected coins. There are additional yield rewards when traders stake in Crypto.com’s CRO token.
Visa Cards by Crypto.com
Crypto.com offers five different Visa cards with no annual fee. Traders can top up with fiat or crypto and spend fiat or crypto for cashback rewards up to 8%.
The card can be managed in the Crypto.com app. There is one base requirement to be eligible for the advanced Visa cards, that is to stake CRO tokens for at least 180-days prior to registration.
Here’s a comparison of how much CRO must be staked for 6-months and what the maximum potential cashback returns are on each card:
|CRO Stake Requirement|
|Midnight Blue Card||n/a||1%|
|Ruby Steel Card||5,000||2%|
|Royal Indigo & Jade Green Cards||50,000||3%|
|Frosted Rose Gold & Icy White Cards||500,000||5%|
The free card allows free atm withdrawals of up to $200 USD per month, along with no-fee foreign currency transactions up to $2,000 per month.
The highest tear cardholders may be eligible for reimbursement of subscription fees with merchants like Spotify, Netflix, Prime, and AirBnb. These offers are not in official partnership with the companies, and the listed benefits are vaguely presented on the Crypto.com website.
Staking & Loans
Crypto.com declare maximum earnings up to 8.5% per year in coin staking, and an even higher 14% with stablecoins.
There are a total of 30+ coins available for staking with an online staking calculator on Crypto.com/earn.
Token reward rates and annual APYs depend on the term and stake amount. Traders can choose from fixed 1-month, 3-month, and flexible terms, along with stake amount brackets of 5,000 CRO or less, 50,000 or less, or over 500,000 CRO.
Here’s an example of yields when you stake less than 5,000 CRO for a 1-month fixed term:
|Algorand - 1%||Kyber Network - 1%|
|Basic Attenetion Token - 1%||Litecoin - 1%|
|Binance Coin - 1%||Maker - 1%|
|Bitcoin - 3%||OMG Network - 1%|
|Bitcoin Cash - 1%||PAX Gold - 1%|
|Cardano - 1%||Paxos Standard - 8%|
|Celer Network - 1%||Polkadot - 1%|
|Chainlink - 1%||Stellar - 1%|
|Compound - 1%||Tether - 8%|
|COSMOS - 1%||Tezos - 1%|
|Crypto.com Coin - 4%||TrueAUD - 8%|
|Dai - 8%||TrueCAD - 8%|
|Decentraland - 1%||TrueGBP - 8%|
|Elrond - 1%||TrueUSD - 8%|
|Enjin Coin - 1%||Uniswap - 1%|
|EOS - 1%||USD Coin - 8%|
|Ethereum - 3.50%||VeChain - 1%|
|ICON - 1%|
Traders can only deposit supported cryptocurrencies to Crypto.com’s web exchange. There are no additional fees for such deposits, aside from the on-chain fee charged by the coin’s network. Deposit processing times are determined by the number of confirmations required by the coin’s blockchain — Crypto.com declares these when you make a deposit.
Crypto withdrawals take 2-3 hours to appear in your external wallet address, though could take longer if the particular network is saturated. Fees vary based on trade volumes, on-chain saturation, and the token’s value.
Visit Crypto.com/exchange/document/fees-limits for up-to-date crypto withdrawal fees.
Fiat-to-Crypto Purchases On The Crypto.com App
The mobile app allows you to buy or sell cryptocurrencies for cash via debit/credit card, and wire transfers. You may also top up your fiat wallet with USD, CAD, AUD, GBP, or EUR, though you can’t access this wallet on the web exchange.
The Crypto.com app and Crypto.com web exchange do NOT share a wallet. You can move your funds to your Crypto.com App without a fee using the ‘Crypto.com App Withdrawal’ function.
Fees and Charges
Crypto.com’s trading fees are split into maker fees and taker fees:
- Maker Fee: Charged when a trade creates a market order that is not filled immediately and stays on the books as a pending order. This contributes to the market and is typically lower than the taker fee. Such orders tend to take place when the trader creates a limit order outside current market rates.
- Taker Fee: Charged when a trade is filled immediately. Orders are instantly filled when a trader chooses to buy or sell at the market limit.
The maker and taker fees are calculated based on the traders’ past 30-day trading volume. Fees are calculated daily and calculated the following day at 00:50:00 UTC.
When you stake CRO on Crypto.com, you get 10% off all trading fees.
Here are the standard trading fee tiers:
|30-Day Trading Volume||Maker Fee||Taker Fee|
|$0 - $250,000||0.10%||0.16%|
|$250,001 - $1,000,000||0.09%||0.15%|
|$1,000,001 - $20,000,000||0.08%||0.14%|
|$20,000,001 - $100,000,000||0.07%||0.13%|
|$100,000,001 - $200,000,000||0.06%||0.12%|
|$200,000,001 and above||0.04%||0.10%|
Derivatives & VIP Fees
Note: Crypto derivatives are banned in the UK.
There is a different trading fee structure for Crypto.com derivatives, though also based on the last 30-day trading volume:
|30-Day Trading Volume||Maker Fee||Taker Fee|
|$0 - $250,000||0.025%||0.04%|
|$250,001 - $1,000,000||0.02%||0.04%|
|$1,000,001 - $20,000,000||0.015%||0.03%|
|$20,000,001 - $100,000,000||0.01%||0.03%|
|$100,000,001 - $200,000,000||0.005%||0.02%|
|$200,000,001 and above||0%||0.02%|
The ‘VIP’ Tiers charge the following trading fees:
|VIP Tier||Monthly Volume Requirement||Maker Fee||Taker Fee|
|VIP 1||> 1% of monthly exchange volume||2.0 bps||4.0 bps|
|VIP 2||> 2% of monthly exchange volume||1.0 bps||3.0 bps|
|VIP 3||> 3% of monthly exchange volume||0.0 bps||2.0 bps|
Mobile App Review
The biggest difference between Crypto.com’s mobile and web platforms is that they have separate wallets. The mobile wallet does have a fiat currency counterpart, and you can use fiat currencies to buy or sell cryptocurrencies.
There is also a separate DeFi wallet that we cover below.
The Mobile Exchange
Here’s an overview of the mobile exchange’s main features.
- Asset Browsing: All assets on the browsing screen have their live price and 24-hour price change percentage. You can filter crypto assets based on market cap and create a custom favorites list by tapping the ‘Star’ logo on the asset screen.
- Charting and Analytics: There are no analytics tools on mobile, though you can view the price chart in 8-hour, 1-day, 1-week, 1-month, 3-month, and 6-month increments.
- Trade Tickets and Management: Crypto.com mobile cryptocurrency purchases require you to select a payment method, which can be a credit card, your app’s crypto wallet, or fiat wallet. Once you’ve defined the amount you want to buy or sell, the exchange price is given and you can submit the trade.
- Recurring Buy: Recurring buys allow you to create up to five automated trades within the trade ticket based on frequency, supported currencies, and a minimum buy of $50 USD.
- Crypto Funding and Withdrawals: You may transfer cryptocurrencies to and from the Crypto.com mobile wallet from the wallet menu. The wallet menu gives you a breakdown of your total and individual coin balances.
- Built-In Support: The app is available in 16 languages with support built-in mobile live support. You may also navigate to a mobile help center with self-help articles.
Other Mobile Features
The following mobile features can also be used on mobile:
- Earn & Stake: Under ‘Accounts’>’Crypto Earn’>’Start Earning Now’, you can set up staking with 35+ coins with flexible, 1-month, or 3-month terms. The app also gives you pre-staking estimates of your potential annual APY.
- Crypto Payments: Ability to send funds between other Crypto.com app customers, pay via QR code, contactless, and redeem gift cards from over 300 brands.
Crypto.com Defi Wallet App
Like any cryptocurrency wallet, Crypto.com DeFi allows you to store, deposit, and withdraw cryptos. You can create several wallets within the same app, with different recovery phrases.
What makes the DeFi wallet different is the ability to stake and swap coins within the wallet.
When you set up your DeFi wallet, you only need to create a passcode — biometrics and two-factor authentication are optional.
Web Exchange Review
The following feature review focuses on the Crypto.com web exchange’s features. The main differences from the mobile app are available analytics tools, derivatives, trading games, and pre-listed coin discounts.
Note: Crypto derivatives are banned in the UK.
You can access the web platform at Crypto.com/exchange/ without registration.
- Asset Browsing: Crypto trade pairs are split into three categories: BTC, USDT, and CRO base pairs. The browsing screen allows you to see the last live price and 24-hour price change.
- Charting and Analytics: There are dozens of analytics tools and technical indicators, both pre-set and customizable. Crypto.com’s web analytics features live up to most online brokers’. You can create a custom list of favorite analytics tools, too.
- Trade Tickets and Management: The two areas to define are the purchase price and the amount you want to buy/sell. Trade amounts can be specified as a trade total, the number of coins, or the percentage of your available purchase currency balance.
- Recurring Buy: Recurring buy is not available on the web platform — see the mobile platform review for this feature’s summary.
- Crypto Funding and Withdrawals: To fund your account, log in and head to ‘Balances’ in the right menu. The dashboard presents the list of supported cryptocurrencies you can deposit or withdraw in, with the ability to hide small/zero balances. Open orders, order history, funding history, and your withdrawal whitelist can also be accessed from this menu.
- Built-In Support: Live chat is available from the trading terminal and the team promise to respond within 24-hours. In the event of no available agents, the live chat directs you to the knowledgebase.
There are no learning resources on Crypto.com web or mobile apps. However, even non-registered visitors have access to 300+ support articles about the exchange and how it operates.
Is Crypto.com legit?
Crypto.com is a member of the Hong Kong-based International Digital Asset Exchange Association (IDAXA). The company also holds financial licenses by the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA), which are the Financial Institution License and the Class 3 Virtual Financial Assets (VFA). Traders’ US dollar funds are also covered under up to $250,000 under FDIC measures.
Is Crypto.com secure?
Crypto.com is in partnership with cold-wallet provider Ledger, and all customer funds are held in offline cold storage. Funds are insured up to $360m USD against physical damage and third-party theft. Traders’ fiat currency balances are held in custodian accounts and insured up to $250,000 under the FDIC. All Crypto.com apps use multi-factor authentication and traders can also create custom withdrawal whitelists to avoid fund theft.
Does Crypto.com charge fees?
Yes, Crypto.com charges trading fees and withdrawal fees. Trading fees are split into maker fees for trades that remain as an open order to create market space and taker fees for immediately executed trades. There are separate retail trading fee tiers for cryptocurrency spot trading, derivatives trading, along with VIP tiers. All tiers are based on the traders’ last 30-day transaction volume on the exchange. Those who stake CRO may be eligible for a 10% discount on all trading fees. See this Crypto.com fee schedule for further details.
Is Crypto.com better than Coinbase?
Both Crypto.com and Coinbase offer services for retail traders and commercial businesses. Coinbase does offer a Pro platform for professional traders, while Crypto.com does not. Crypto.com supports 100+ cryptocurrencies, while Coinbase’s selection is less than half that. Coinbase is regulated by more prominent authorities like the New York State Department of Financial Services and the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and traders have more funding options, PayPal included. As to which cryptocurrency exchange is better depends on your needs. See the Coinbase review for comparison.
Who is the owner of Crypto.com?
Crypto.com is a privately held company under the registered name of MCO Malta DAX Limited, founded by Bobby Bao, Gary Or, Kris Marszalek, Rafael Melo in 2016. Kris Marszalek remains the company’s CEO. As to who the company’s majority shareholders are is private information, though the founders, existing board members, and those in executive roles may have part ownership.
How old is Crypto.com?
Crypto.com was founded in 2016, making the company five years old in 2021. The company has more than 900 employees worldwide, and over ten million customers in 90+ countries. The company was initially funded both privately and through an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) and has its own Crypto.com Coin (CRO) listed on exchanges like Huobi, OKEx, and Bittrex.